Media is all around you on a daily basis, no matter what you are doing there is some form of media there. While you are driving and you have the radio on, or listing to a CD, or even passing by billboards, you are consciously or sub consciously taking in many different forms of media. What role does media play in my everyday life? Well I am a huge sports fan generally speaking. Every time I watch a sporting event on a TV or listing on the radio, there is advertising consistently throughout the games. In baseball each inning is “brought to you by” something. Media is not only limited to advertising, but it is the media that brings the game to me pretty much where even I am. Do we mostly consume media or do we mostly create it? Well this is a question that could be answered many different ways, but I think the everyday American mostly consumes media for the simple fact that media is everywhere you go. Even if you help create media, you are still consuming media while you create or partake in it. We consume more media than we could ever possibly create, because there are so many companies within the general word “media.” What do I want out of this communications class? Well first and foremost I want a better understand of communications and the media, so I potentially go on and get a fun well paid job. Knowing this is a basic beginner class I want to “consume” the basics of this field to build on with more advanced classes.

if you were to be a 'creator' & not consume media, give an example of what you would do.
ReplyDeleteWhen sporting events or teams have sponsors do you believe that the companies that are sponsoring are help out because of a good cause or for promotional purposes?
ReplyDeleteIf I was a creator of media, I would do my best to improve media coverage of sporting events. I would try to use the knowledge I gain throughout the years, to add new and improved things (media wise) to make sports more enjoyable for thw sporting world.
ReplyDeleteI believe that companies who sponsor sporting events have both purposes in mind. I believe that the majority of people in the world have good hearts enjoy helping people. On the contrary when companies do sponsor sporting events or charitable causes they do recieve a good reputation and could attract more persons to their company and or products.
ReplyDeleteIn your opinion of us being mostly consumers of media, do you really believe we don't create it a lot more? I'm saying this because media is really anything that mediates a message. Really, I think we create more media simply because we all have different views and express ourselves daily to friends, peers, and family... some of us even communicate daily to other crowds. We all mediate things and views. So when you say media, what exactly do you mean?
ReplyDeleteDo you think that people are more likely to go to the companies that are advertised at the sporting events because they connect that company to that sport, or because they feel that company is better for their needs?
ReplyDeleteMedia is "( usually used with a plural verb ) the means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely: The media are covering the speech tonight" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/media). I do agree with you to am extent. I do believe that we create a lot of media, especially with new websites poppiing up all the time like youtube and facebook. When you mentioned about us expressing ourselves daily to friends, peers, and family, I disagree to an extent maily because you were to clear on what you meant. Media is influenced on a daily basis by the average person, so in that sense we do/could help create media when we don't even realize it. But in my opinion most of everyday communication between persons is not and should not be considered media because I feel that media is information bein pushed out to the greatest number of people at once.
ReplyDeleteI feel that people will go to a company for their needs and not solely because they seen it advertised at a sporting event. Except in the case of sporting equipment, if you play lets say baseball for instince and you seen a reall good baseball player hitting a lot of homeruns and you happen to see or find out what type of bat he uses then people would be more inclined to buy that same excat bat. So are people influenced by advertising at sporting events I believe so but with in reason. I don't feel that the majority of people impulse buy based solely on the connection of buisness to sport.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel that some companies would have felt an economic downturn if there was no professional football games this year?
ReplyDeleteYes I do feel companies would not have made as much money as they normally would during the football season. Would it be an economic downturn? No I don't believe so.
ReplyDelete