Advertising is a very powerful tool for companies to promote their products and to entice the consumer to purchase their products. Why is it so powerful? Is it powerful because the products being advertised are just far superior to its competition or is it because of the way these products are being advertised? I feel that it is both because I know that if a product is a product worthwhile then the good word will spread like a wildfire in Texas. This is a different era in advertising because the use of women to spark the attention and interest of the consumer. In this ad to the right at first glance you would not know that it is advertising the S-series Mercedes Benz. When you take a closer look into the black hole between all the breasts it says “8 airbags,” this is a provocative derogatory comment about the breasts being airbags. Is this right? Probably not, but it is a very effective advertising tool. Why do you ask. Well SEX sells, enough said. Now women are not the only ones used in this manner. Yes they are more widely used than men, but men are used in the same way. Media has portrayed what the “beautiful women” standard is, but when you open your eyes this is also true when it comes to men as well. If you took a guy and he was normal in the way that he doesn’t really have abs showing and not much definition in his arms and you take the same guy with muscles, a 6-pack, and all sorts of definition. I feel 10 out of 10 females will pick the guy with the “muscles.” Take this ad by the Shake Weight as an example. Now I do not know the statistics on this but I am sure there have been many women that have gone out and bought this “cheap and effective” way to try and make their man look like this man. So before anyone gets so caught up in the use of women in the media, you need to take a step back open your eyes a little bit more and realize that this is not just a problem for the women it is an advertising technique that uses both men and women. Sunday, October 2, 2011
Sex Scandel in Advertising
Advertising is a very powerful tool for companies to promote their products and to entice the consumer to purchase their products. Why is it so powerful? Is it powerful because the products being advertised are just far superior to its competition or is it because of the way these products are being advertised? I feel that it is both because I know that if a product is a product worthwhile then the good word will spread like a wildfire in Texas. This is a different era in advertising because the use of women to spark the attention and interest of the consumer. In this ad to the right at first glance you would not know that it is advertising the S-series Mercedes Benz. When you take a closer look into the black hole between all the breasts it says “8 airbags,” this is a provocative derogatory comment about the breasts being airbags. Is this right? Probably not, but it is a very effective advertising tool. Why do you ask. Well SEX sells, enough said. Now women are not the only ones used in this manner. Yes they are more widely used than men, but men are used in the same way. Media has portrayed what the “beautiful women” standard is, but when you open your eyes this is also true when it comes to men as well. If you took a guy and he was normal in the way that he doesn’t really have abs showing and not much definition in his arms and you take the same guy with muscles, a 6-pack, and all sorts of definition. I feel 10 out of 10 females will pick the guy with the “muscles.” Take this ad by the Shake Weight as an example. Now I do not know the statistics on this but I am sure there have been many women that have gone out and bought this “cheap and effective” way to try and make their man look like this man. So before anyone gets so caught up in the use of women in the media, you need to take a step back open your eyes a little bit more and realize that this is not just a problem for the women it is an advertising technique that uses both men and women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


First off I have to say I wish I was that 8 air bag thing in that picture... but on a serious note, do you feel that men really care as much as they should or could to look perfect like a woman would?
ReplyDeleteNo I do not think men care to look perfect overall as much as women do. But regardless of this flaw that men have which is a "don't give a shit" attitude, the media still use them in the same way but its just in a smaller dose.
ReplyDeleteDo you think there is more advertisement with women than men? It seems like most people just focus on how it makes women look bad. In reality it is done the same way for men.
ReplyDelete